The Beginner’s Guide to the Definition and Benefits of Motion Branding
Everyone’s been (rightfully) talking about the increasing digitalization of our world for decades. And even though it is a digitally-saturated landscape, there are still lesser known digital marketing tactics out there you could be using to differentiate your brand. Namely, motion branding.
Within this article that provides an overview of motion branding, we invite you to see how this often underutilized marketing and branding play can best work for your brand.
What Is Motion Branding?
Motion branding is a multidisciplinary subfield of graphic design. It seamlessly blends video and animation technology into your brand representation.
With motion branding, static visual elements are brought to life by integrating movement, sound, and visual effects. This fusion of graphics and motion inherent to motion branding makes for a newfangled storytelling tool that enhances the appeal, individuality, and staying power of your brand in the minds of your users.
Motion Branding’s Origin Story
Motion branding isn’t actually a new thing. Its presence dates back to when television broadcasting first started using animated logos and graphic packages. With the progression of digital technology, motion branding has transitioned from being a novel, cool concept to a powerful marketing and branding tool (although we think it’s still cool, too).
Motion Branding Today
There are countless current motion branding applications. From animated logo signatures in commercials and dynamic social media post to in-app microinteractions and transitions, event screens, presentations and more — motion branding is all around us.
The continued growth and adoption of digital technology have substantially amplified motion branding’s use cases. But remember: The opportunity to stand out by employing motion branding is still very real, despite this growth.
How Motion Branding Can Set Your Product Apart
We’ve said it over and over again. Motion branding is a great marketing and branding tool. Plain and simple, here are its benefits:
- Enhanced brand recognition: Animated designs connected with your brand can enhance brand recognition among consumers, leading to stronger brand recall.
- Increased user engagement and interest: Motion captures attention more effectively than static imagery. The use of animation, video, and other dynamic elements can draw viewers in, keeping them engaged for longer periods and increasing their overall interest in your brand.
- Stronger emotional connection: Well-executed motion branding can create an emotional bond between the brand and its consumers, enhancing brand loyalty.
- Consistency across platforms: Motion branding can help maintain consistency across various digital platforms (websites, social media, apps, digital ads, and so on), ensuring that your brand is instantly recognizable, regardless of where it appears.
- Improved user experience (UX): Well-designed animations guide your users and provide a sense of dynamism to interfaces, making them more enjoyable and easier to use.
- Superior brand differentiation: With growing competition across sectors, a unique application of motion branding can set your brand apart. Enough said.
- Versatility: Motion graphics can be used in a wide variety of applications — from social media and websites to presentations and events. Use it to fill in gaps in your marketing campaigns.
The combination of these benefits points to an undeniable strategic advantage of motion branding. All to say, it’s clearly worth incorporating into your marketing toolkit.
Brands You Love Are Already Using Motion Branding
Successful companies are actively incorporating motion branding into their strategies:
- Google: Known for its use of motion in Doodles, the loading animations of their apps and in many advertising campaigns.
- Spotify: Employs motion branding in their year in review campaign, UI elements (like their like button), and advertisements.
- Netflix: Utilizes their classic logo animation as well as a motion language in their trailers and promotions.
- Airbnb: Uses motion graphics in their logo reveal,loading screens and other promotional materials.
- Apple: Applies motion branding within their operating systems, their website and in product reveal videos.
In all those cases, you can easily identify and feel their brand in motion. These perennial trailblazers should serve as serious inspiration as you consider how best to incorporate motion branding into your own strategy.
Where Does Motion Branding Fit Into Your Marketing and Branding Strategy?
Motion branding is a powerful tool with substantial unrealized potential. As technology continues to progress, motion branding will only continue to grow as more brands transition away from static visual elements.
That’s the long of it. The short of it? It’s a prime time to pursue motion branding for your product promo.